The Mining Editor’s responsibilities will be to create, develop and regularly re-evaluate Kitco’s mining and exploration content strategy on the dedicated mining section and across all Kitco platforms and formats. This content includes Mining and Exploration News, Charts/Data and Opinion/Analysis. In addition, the Mining Editor will be required to oversee licensing agreements, assist with technical developments, SEO, social strategies, KPI’s and develop advertising products and opportunities for the sales teams.
- Develop and execute a mining and exploration publishing strategy focused on growing Kitco’s mining and exploration audience with content that is top-notch in our sector.
- Provide a deep understanding of market competitive landscape, trends and user needs, and translate that understanding into content which will grow the mining and exploration site’s dedicated readership.
- Implement a content coverage plan for mining/exploration
- Oversee and manage the creation of story packages on article-page level (text, visuals, video, inset boxes for related articles or twitter, timelines, etc.)
- Ensure that all components of the site are of the highest quality, adhere to Kitco Media standards and are ready for publication as a complete article-page.
- Ensure the timely, coordinated and error-free publication of all resource/mining content. (SEO headlines, hyperlinks, video, etc.).
- Track key performance indicators (Analytics & Audience analysis). Provide regular and actionable feedback to improve overall content quality and workflow efficiency.
- Work closely with the page editors to make sure breaking news stories are receiving the proper input from beat reporters and section editors.
- Ensure on-platform engagement of audiences through techniques such as “further reading” recommendations, “editors picks,” etc., based on audience data.
- Develop advertising products for the sales teams.
- Create and serve readers resource newsletters generated within the coverage area. Track KPIs and optimize.
- Manage metrics across owned-media channels with a focus on measuring, traffic, engagement, lead generation, conversion rates and pipeline generation.
- Responsible for specific traffic, budget and P&L sections.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities and assignments simultaneously under strict deadlines.
- Deep understanding of digital media strategy, audience development, and strong editing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Extremely organized and thorough with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Resourcefulness, diligence, attention to detail, and creative problem solving skills.
- Deep understanding of existing audience and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding while continuously seeking to expand and grow the resource audience across all of Kitco’ s digital assets.
- Solid grasp of video as a content format.
- Know how to select and present the best, most relevant resource content (news, data and opinion) in various digital formats.
- Understands and applies creatively modern and innovative journalism and storytelling techniques.
- Excellent communications skills. Knows how to delegate, brief and give constructive feedback.
- Sound organizational abilities: managing projects and maintaining a slate of forward planning that is crucial for implementing the resource coverage area’s strategy.
- Innovative and creative thinker.
TECHNICAL / PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCIES
- BA/BS, minimum 5 years in a supervisory editorial capacity, 3 year minimum in the mining and exploration sector.
- Extensive experience (7-10 years) as a journalist in resources, mining and exploration.
- Superb mining and exploration content judgment with extensive sector experience editing and writing.
- Sales and marketing experience are a plus.
ANTICIPATED TRAVEL / SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Travel is required for this position
***We will keep your resume on file for an undetermined period for future career opportunities.